One of the unique FutureWise methods of self improvement uses the INNER THEATER metaphor to create the potential of a truly exciting and fun-filled adventure in personal growth. There are four main components of the INNER THEATER, the BACK STAGE, FRONT STAGE, SPOTLIGHT and FUTURE STAGE.
Imagine for a moment that you’re going to make a movie about your life using these four parts of your INNER THEATER.
First, your BACK STAGE, contains your individual differences and past experiences, the back story that you have been creating up to this point in time from all your varied life experiences blended with your unique personality differences. For some of us, the BACK STAGE has been positive and fulfilling, while others have had a more difficult and negative BACK STAGE experience. One thing is consistent for all of us, we’ve developed our own personal back story, that plays an important role in our self improvement in the present and in the future. You can get a quick sense of your back story by completing the following sentences:
1. Overall, I’d say that my back story up to this point in time has been (positive, neutral, negative) (Circle one). Because …
2. Right now, the most important, exciting and positive part of my back story is …
Next, you have your FRONT STAGE. This represents the present, including your current goals and objectives, and how you are spending your time. As you think about your front story, complete the following:
1. The Lead Character (the part of me that dominates most of my life today) for my current front story is… (happy, sad, confused, frustrated, excited, exhausted, etc.)
2. My Lead Character reminds me of a (celebrity, cartoon character, video game character, friend, parent, relative, etc. ) because the main personality characteristic of my Lead Character is
The third section of the INNER THEATER is the SPOTLIGHT. This represents the unique way you’re currently developing your life story and focusing your attention in the present FRONT STAGE of your life, in order to move successfully into the future. Your time and space management along with the value that is placed on the kind or quality of your time and space comes into play for the SPOTLIGHT. Ask yourself the following questions:
1. What am I doing with my time and space to maximize my self improvement and well being?
2. Do I feel in charge of my choices in life? Are they getting me to where I want to be in the future?
The last part of the INNER THEATER is your FUTURE STAGE. This represents the people and situations in your future that will play an important role in how successful, happy and fulfilling your life will eventually become. As you continue to develop your FRONT STORY and increase your well being and self improvement skills, who will be involved on your FUTURE STAGE?
1. My FUTURE STAGE will include the following people in my life, as part of my audience.
This gives you just a brief overview of your INNER THEATER.
The INNER THEATER metaphor is developed in far more depth, as the key to our FUTUREWISE PROGRAMS. These programs, especially for family and children, are designed to facilitate change in ways that are entertaining and compelling. With the speed of change and the accelerating power of media and entertainment, new methods are necessary today, especially for children, to help them become more CHOICE-FULL.